Purpose of the Coalition
The Chicago Coalition of Welcoming Churches is a collaboration of more than 80 churches and other ministries in the Chicago
metropolitan area which welcome and affirm people of all sexual orientations and gender identities. We have two
- To spread the message of our members' LGBTQ-inclusion across the Chicago metropolitan area, mindful that a positive message about
sexual and family diversity is a gift to all people.
- To connect the leaders, members, and guests of our partner churches for fellowship and education, enabling support and
resource-sharing for the practices of faithful welcome.
Join or Renew Your Partnership
First Congregational United Church of Christ
This congregation contributed to the CCWC during 2021!
1047 Curtiss Street
Downers Grove, IL 60515
(downtown, across from the Public Library, two blocks from the Metra train station)
Who We Are
- We are people on a journey.
- We don't claim to have all the answers.
- Our faith nurtures the spirit and engages the mind.
- We take the Bible seriously but not literally.
- We seek God who is Love.
- We follow Christ who is Light.
- We trust the Spirit who is our Guide.
- And, although we embrace a faith that is 2000 years old, our thinking is not.
- Open and Affirming—we welcome LGBTQ and all!
Open and Affirming Statement
We the members of the First Congregational UCC of Downers Grove believe that we are called to be the Church following in the footsteps of Jesus:
- to touch this world with the amazing news that somebody cares,
- to say Yes in the face of No and be light in the world's darkness,
- to celebrate every person as a child of God created in God's image,
- to right the injustices in the world and stand with those who are left out,
- to reach out and heal the wounds of oppression, injustice, prejudice and hate,
- and to love all as God has first loved us.
Therefore, we declare ourselves to be an Open and Affirming Congregation.
- An extravagant welcome and grace is extended to all.
- Everyone is affirmed and included without regard to age, gender, race, national origin, faith background, marital status, family structure,
sexual orientation, gender identity, mental and physical ability, economic and social status, and educational background.
- All persons participate and share in all aspects of the life, leadership, and ministry of the church.
- Each person's gifts are celebrated, welcomed, nurtured and blessed.