First Congregational United Church of Christ
1047 Curtiss Street
Downers Grove, IL 60515
(downtown, across from the Public Library, two blocks from the Metra train station)
Rev. Scott Oberle, Senior Pastor (email@example.com)
Schedule of Activities
All are Welcome! Sunday Worship 9:30 a.m. We are open theologically and toward all people. Our style is a true mix of formal and informal. Everyone is invited
to come as they are—jeans, suits, and everything in between. Our worship is best described as "eclectic" both in music style and liturgy. You may hear piano or pipe
organ, acoustic or electric band, classical pieces or traditional hymns, ethnic pieces or simple songs, choir, handbells, or string quartet—sometimes all in the same
Infant and child care and Sunday school are offered. Please see our website for more info: www.uccdg.org
You can participate in our Sunday Worship online at www.uccfn.org
On Wednesdays, 6:00-6:45 p.m., we host a very casual spiritual gathering for folks uncomfortable with traditional worship services (or organized religion in general!). We meet in the Two Way Street Coffee House (in our church building). Join us!
We also host PFLAG, various 12 step meetings and other community groups. Check our website at www.uccdg.org or phone 630-968-0358 if you need more information.
Who We Are
- We are people on a journey.
- We don't claim to have all the answers.
- Our faith nurtures the spirit and engages the mind.
- We take the Bible seriously but not literally.
- We seek God who is Love.
- We follow Christ who is Light.
- We trust the Spirit who is our Guide.
- And, although we embrace a faith that is 2000 years old, our thinking is not.
- Open and Affirming—we welcome LGBTQ and all!
Open and Affirming Statement
We the members of the First Congregational UCC of Downers Grove believe that we are called to be the Church following in the footsteps of Jesus:
- to touch this world with the amazing news that somebody cares,
- to say Yes in the face of No and be light in the world's darkness,
- to celebrate every person as a child of God created in God's image,
- to right the injustices in the world and stand with those who are left out,
- to reach out and heal the wounds of oppression, injustice, prejudice and hate,
- and to love all as God has first loved us.
Therefore, we declare ourselves to be an Open and Affirming Congregation.
- An extravagant welcome and grace is extended to all.
- Everyone is affirmed and included without regard to age, gender, race, national origin, faith background, marital status, family structure,
sexual orientation, gender identity, mental and physical ability, economic and social status, and educational background.
- All persons participate and share in all aspects of the life, leadership, and ministry of the church.
- Each person's gifts are celebrated, welcomed, nurtured and blessed.